What is a DIAPAL?
Beginning in 1995, Sinn began work to create an oil free escapement. With any mechanical watch movement, the aging of oil, especially in the escapement can create long term problems for that movement. Additionally, as movement oil ages, required service intervals become more frequent.
Sinn's early analysis to this problem provided a quick solution (at least in theory) - if you don’t use oil, it can’t age. The process began by exchanging the ruby escapements for diamonds (the word "DIAPAL” derives from the German name for diamond escapements, "Dia
etten”) in order to achieve the desired effect. The designation stuck, even though today Sinn works with solutions taken from advanced nanotechnology rather than diamonds.
The result is a movement that proves so reliable that Sinn offers an unprecedented five year warranty on their DIAPAL watches.
But There's More
The Sinn 757 UTC DIAPAL features an all Tegimented case construction. Standard steel used by most watch companies has a hardness of between 200 and 240 HV (Hardness Vickers is a common scale used to measure material hardness). The Tegiment layer has a hardness of 1,200 Vickers which is up to five times harder than standard steel.
The Tegiment layer is not a coating consisting of a foreign material, instead the steel itself that has been hardened using a special engineering process that creates a hardened barrier. The base material is a type of stainless steel also used for surgical implants, and the stainless steel resistance to corrosion is even further improved by the Tegiment hardening process.
Next, this case offers magnetic field protection of up to 80,000 A/m, among the highest for any mechanical watch. The case back is nickel free offering protection to those with allergic reactions to this metal.
The list of features for this watch is long:
- Full Tegiment construction - six times harder than standard steel watches
- DIAPAL movement construction with oil free escapement and five year warranty
- Double Viton® seals
- Magnetic field protection
- Sinn copper sulphate capsule to absorb moisture and humidity
- Bezel is screwed to the case using an exclusive Sinn design
- Bezel is anthracite color to match the dial
- Galvanized anthracite dial which is UV resistant
- Vacuum safe for high flight altitudes
- Second time zone function which may be hidden if not used
- In house case construction from Sinn's affiliated company in Glashutte, Germany
- Fully Tegimented bracelet for superior resistance to scratches and abrasions
Finally, this watch is the perfect size for today's tastes - 43 mm.
Satin-brushed stainless steel case with solid back. Dial is anthracite with black sub-dials, Arabic numerals and offset date display at 4. We have to say this is one of the most striking dials we have ever seen on a watch. The design and layout of this watch make it extremely easy to read in virtually all light conditions.
Sapphire crystal with luminous hands and hour markers. Watch is water resistant to 20 ATM.